Your surgeon’s office will give you a package of forms
- Complete the “Anaesthetic Questionnaire”
- The “History and Physical” form must be completed by your family doctor, so be sure to make an appointment for this well in advance of your surgery date.
- Bring BOTH of the above forms with you to your Pre Anaesthesia Clinic appointment.
You may get a “Medscheck”
If you take 3 or more prescription medications, please ask your pharmacist about setting up a “Medscheck” appointment before your surgery. He or she will review your medications and provide a report for you to bring to the hospital for your Pre Anaesthesia Clinic appointment. This information will help the staff as they prepare you for surgery.
For more information about Medscheck call 1-866-255-6701 (TTY 1-800-387-5599) or visit the Medscheck website.
You’ll be ‘screened’
This simply means we’ll do routine health checks to make sure we plan properly for your surgery. You may get a telephone call from our staff or you may be called in for an appointment at the Pre Anaesthesia Clinic. There is a Pre Anaesthesia Clinic at the Brampton Civic Hospital and Etobicoke General Hospital. They offer the following services. You may not need all of them.
- A nursing visit, as part of the Pre Anaesthesia Clinic visit to review your medical history and information about your upcoming surgery
- A pharmacist visit, as part the Pre Anaesthesia Clinic visit, to ask you about any medications you are taking
- A consultation with an Anaesthesiologist to review the plan for managing your surgery and ‘after surgery’ pain you may have
- You may have a blood sample taken and an ECG (Electrocardiogram) done
- If you are having a knee or hip replacement, you may need to attend a group class (at the hospital) where you’ll learn exercises for before and after your surgery, discuss equipment you may require, and plan for the care and support you will need when you are discharged from hospital.
If you are asked to come in for a Pre Anaesthesia Clinic appointment:
- We will try to schedule the visit for a time that is good for you. Please do not bring children to this visit.
- Patients who have limited mobility, are confused, or do not speak English, should bring a family member with them to help and interpret.
- You do not need to fast from food or drink for this appointment, only on your surgery date.
- Please bring your Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) card
- Please bring all of the medications that you take, or bring an up–to-date list.
Pre-Anaesthesia Clinic locations and contact information
Take main entrance, LEAF elevator to 2nd floor
Tel: 905-494-2120 ext. 56591
Fourth floor, Etobicoke Wellness Centre, 115 Humber College Blvd., (across the parking lot from Etobicoke General).
Tel: 416-494-2120 ext. 33490