The entire first floor of the new wing will be dedicated to emergency care, making the new area almost twice as large as the existing space.
The new, larger emergency department (ED) will be a state-of-the-art, high-tech environment, built to support best practices in emergency care.
The airy, bright space is also designed for patient and family safety, comfort, and privacy.
A new fracture clinic will be located next to the emergency department, providing space to care for more patients in less time.
Some of the features of the new ED:
- A separate entrance and receiving area for patients arriving by ambulance. This means ambulance crews won’t be delayed, and patients will have more privacy;
- 3 trauma rooms equipped to manage the most serious injuries and illnesses;
- A separate waiting area and treatment rooms designed for children;
- For elderly patients: larger treatment rooms and stretchers that convert to chairs.
- For mental health patients: a separate area that respects their need for a quiet, secure space away from the rest of the busy emergency department.