Etobicoke General Hospital is undergoing a transformation.
Alongside the existing hospital building, a new four-storey patient tower is taking shape. And, just across from the new tower, construction on the six-storey Etobicoke Wellness Centre is also well underway.
The two buildings will give our programs and services the state-of-the-art facilities and extra space they need to provide our community with world-class patient care.
We’re on track to open the Etobicoke Wellness Centre by fall 2018 and the new patient tower in early 2019.
The patient tower will add 250,000 square feet to the facility. It will house:
- An emergency department almost double the size of the existing space;
- An Intensive Care/Coronary Care Unit four times larger than its current space;
- A combined Cardiac, Respiratory and Neurodiagnostic Unit for patients with heart, breathing, and neurological complications;
- A Maternal Newborn Unit with 10 private birthing suites, two operating rooms, and a 10-bassinette Level II Nursery for newborns who need extra care;
- An Ambulatory (day) Procedures Unit offering advanced procedures that allow patients same-day discharge and recovery at home;
- More comfortable, modern patient rooms with lots of natural light.
The Etobicoke Wellness Centre will replace the existing medical office building. It will also accommodate some outpatient programs and services, including:
- A new, larger fracture and wound clinic;
- Diagnostic imaging services;
- A 30-station satellite dialysis program with six additional stations for home hemodialysis training for patients;
- A pre-anaesthesia clinic;
- A diabetes education clinic;
- Doctors’ offices and clinics (most will transfer from the existing medical office building on the site).