February 14, 2017 BRAMPTON – In a quiet, understated event, Sajjad Ebrahim and his family unveiled the plaque honouring their donation to William Osler Health System’s (Osler) Peel Memorial Centre for Integrated Health and Wellness last week. The ‘Sajjad Ebrahim and Family Urgent Care Centre’ benefited from the $2.5M gift announced in July 2015, which helped to build and equip the new outpatient hospital. This gift continues a family tradition of supporting health care in Brampton through individual gifts, as well as through the Muslim Friends of Osler – a group which made a $1M pledge to support Brampton Civic.
“Nearly 100 years ago, a community group decided that something had to be done to provide health care for those injured or ill, close to home,” said Ken Mayhew, President and CEO, William Osler Health System Foundation. “Their passion and resources made that vision a reality. Many generations have benefited from their efforts to ‘pay it forward’. And now, history repeats itself. The Sajjad Ebrahim and Family Urgent Care Centre will provide care to people in a period of vulnerability in their lives. On behalf of those families and mine, thank you.”
The Sajjad Ebrahim and Family Urgent Care Centre features patient exam rooms and specialty areas, including two high acuity rooms to treat patients who may have arrived with more serious illnesses, as well as an eye exam room, a gynecological patient exam room, and more. Physicians and nurses working at the new Urgent Care Centre are all emergency trained.
“We are thrilled to open the doors to the new Peel Memorial and to extend and expand the services offered at Osler’s Brampton Civic and Etobicoke General Hospitals so that we can provide the community with even greater access to important health care services,” said Joanne Flewwelling, Interim President and CEO at Osler. “With the opening of the Urgent Care Centre, the public now has another convenient option to get care for non-life threatening injuries and illnesses, and we are truly grateful to the Ebrahim family for their generous gift and support in helping make this a reality.”
The average cost to equip each patient exam room is $25,000. The funds for equipment must be raised – 100 per cent – through the community.
“I’m truly humbled by this naming opportunity in this unique health care facility,” said Mr. Ebrahim, surrounded by family, close friends and staff. “I’m grateful to God that we can make a meaningful contribution that plays an important role in the health and well-being of this community. We wanted to give back because I always believed Canada is the best country in the world.”
The Sajjad Ebrahim and Family Urgent Care Centre is now open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week, every day of the year at the new Peel Memorial.
Some of the other services the community can expect at the new Peel Memorial by April 2017 include:
- An Urgent Care Centre – open 14 hours a day, seven days a week, and staffed by emergency-trained physicians and staff, this is a convenient option for illnesses and injuries that are not emergencies but can’t wait.
- Outpatient Procedures/Day Surgery – will include cataract and arthroscopic surgery, and minor gynaecology procedures. Patients will benefit from high-tech facilities without the need for an overnight stay.
- Chronic Disease Management – people with chronic conditions like diabetes, cardiovascular disease, kidney disease, or asthma, will get education and support to help them manage their disease.
- Community Mental Health and Addictions Services – including an eating disorders clinic, addictions counselling, and seniors’ behavioural support.
- Specialized clinics – for prenatal education, maternal and newborn care, gynaecological and obstetrical services, and services for children and adolescents.
- Seniors’ Wellness – Services will include geriatric assessment clinics, preventative care (e.g. falls and stroke prevention), rehabilitation services, and help with accessing outpatient and community-based services to help maintain independence.
- Diagnostic Services – High-tech diagnostic services include x-ray, mammography, ultrasound, CT scans, bone mineral density tests, and laboratory services.
- A Dialysis Unit – with the capacity to accommodate up to 36 patients a day.
To find out how you can help fund the 10,000 pieces of equipment needed at Peel Memorial, visit www.youhavethepower.ca.