Transparency and requesting access to non-health records
To request a copy of your patient health record, please contact the Health Information Management Office (HIM) at 905-494-2120 ext. 58864.
Additionally, any person may request access to records about the hospitals’ functions and operations by submitting a written request using this form. We have a selection of records such as executive contracts and expenses readily available. Osler takes community trust seriously and we believe in being open, transparent and accountable to you.
Osler adheres to the provincial Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA).
FIPPA is about two things:
- Access to general records subject to limited exemptions
- Privacy for personal information that is held by the hospital. Individuals have the right to request access to this information through our HIM.
Decisions on requests for access will be issued within 30 calendar days after the complete request is received.
A complete request:
- has been made in writing
- clearly explains what information is being requested
- includes a $5.00 application fee (payable to "William Osler Health System").
You may choose to request information rather than a request for records. Requests for information come in the form of written or verbal answers to questions and use the FIPPA and privacy policies as guidance.
Any decision issued by Osler may be appealed to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario (IPC).
Download the FIPPA request form
Direct all FIPPA requests to:
Freedom of Information & Privacy Specialist
Freedom of Information (FOI) Office, William Osler Health System
905-494-2120 ext. 29466 or email@example.com
Mailing Address: FOI Office, 2100 Bovaird Drive East, Brampton, ON L6R 3J7
Submitting a request When completing the form:
- be clear and identify the specific records you are looking for
- specify dates or a time period where possible
- give us as much detail as possible to help us find the records (pursuant to FIPPA)
Osler will respond to the request within 30 days after receiving the complete request. If a third party is involved in the request, the time limit for responding will be extended a maximum of 20 days. Another ten-day extension is given to Osler to review the third party comments and then issue a decision for access. The third party has another 30 days maximum to appeal the access decision.
The fees associated with access requests under FIPPA are outlined under Regulation 460 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and summarized below: